Sunday, October 29, 2017

Urgent!



We have to live life with a sense of urgency so not a minute is wasted.
-Les Brown (https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/live_life.html)


Triage

When I look at how most of us deal with life, I recall my experience doing triage in the emergency room years ago.  When patients would come in I, as the triage nurse, would have to quickly assess them to determine if their need for treatment was a Stat ( right away), Urgent ( within a short period of time) or Non-Urgent (could be referred to the overcrowded waiting room for an indefinite period of time). For the well being of the patient and healing team it was essential to make this determination correctly.

In correctly triaging our own lives.

 I find most of us...me included...have a tendency to  really screw up the triage systems of our own lives.  Too often we make life situations into emergencies and catastrophes when they are not or worse we refer our broken dreams, joy and happiness to the waiting room. While sitting on the hard plastic chairs  and drinking stale coffee...our wishes and desires are easily forgotten or pushed aside by someone else's needs.

The Waiting Room!

Maybe you can relate to this.  Maybe you are like me. I am world's worth procrastinator. I too often push things off onto a tomorrow I know will never come.  I have dreams, plans, intentions...lots of them.  And though I do not want to worry about manifesting these things or get too involved with the doing and fixing...I am realizing that just sitting back and waiting is not the  answer either. That method of coping with life has not really worked out for me to date.

When I look around me and see that months, years or even decades have passed and I have still not accomplished what I wanted to...I feel so "blah!"  I know then that some action is required. 

Urgent!  Living Required Now!

So in order to compensate I now try to place an urgent stamp on my life file.  I find myself putting my life experience into small blocks of time in hope that I will be more motivated  to accomplish what needs to be accomplished in order for me to fulfill my purpose. 

As if I stumbling through the revolving doors of my life with a severed jugular...I see time as precious and the need to accomplish my dream as urgent. I need to fix what is broken.  Replace what is lost. Fill my life with all it is meant to be filled with now. Otherwise I will soon be completely drained and lifeless.  This is urgent.  Living is required now.

Learning to triage correctly

There are some simple steps we can take to put our life into perspective so we avoid long waits in an emergency room
  • Determine the difference between emergency, urgency and non-urgent.  What is truly important to you having a fulfilling life and what isn't? 
  • Remind yourself that few things in life are the emergencies we make them out to be.  Remove the drama.
  • Put away the time wasters and focus on the urgent things in your life. Stamp correctly.
  • Before you push something into the waiting room of your life, determine if it belongs there. Upgrading to the latest and newest IPhone may be something that can sit on one of those hard plastic chairs for a while.  Getting that new lump checked or putting money away for school may not be.
  • Remember life is  short and you are bleeding.  Fill your day with things that fill you up, not things that drain you farther.
  • Take some action now towards your dreams.  It doesn't have to be big...just one small step will do.  Fill out that application; write that first paragraph; pick up the phone.
  • Know that it is up to you to determine what is urgent and non-urgent in your life.  Don't let others determine that for you!
  • Live your life now.
It is all good.  All is well in my world

No comments:

Post a Comment